So as you probably know (or should!), I took the first month of this year off. No blogging, no EVE, no gaming. None, nadda, notin! Though it wasn't planned, it was a breath of fresh air, and aloud me to consider why I consider spending so much of my leisure time in or around EVE Online.
So why did I come back after a month hiatus? For a bunch of reasons actually.
First and foremost, the setting - science-fiction on a space-opera scale never seen before or since. CCP's space MMO is in a league of it's own when it comes to vastness. The lore also has a lot to day with this appeal. And this goes for the official EVE Chronicles and the fan material (EON, forum and all). More, give me more. I can't wait for Tony's book in June, and for CCP White Wolf's RPG books!
Second, it's a virtual world (notice I did not use the term game) that has endless possibilities, one where I can do as I please. It's not a theme park, its much more a sandbox. I can build a castle of any size I choose, I can play with others, or not, and I can share my toys, or not. I like choice; I hate being told what to do, or where to go.
Third, the EVE community, the players. I don't know if you've noticed, but EVE Online attracts a different type of player than your typical theme-park MMO (WoW anyone). It's a more dedicated crowd (hell with the learning curve it has, only addicts get beyond the tutorials!), a more mature bunch of geeks. Though we still know how to throw a god damn amazing party, especially at the top of the world! And how could I forget the unforgettable, unmistakable, Warp Drive Active podcasts by the greatest EVE fanboys out there, winterblink and urban mongral! How could I live without my regular WDA podcast!
So for all these reasons, I came back. I returned home, to New Eden. To have fun, to dream, to get podded. And to try all over again!
So what about you? While you're at it, if the poll is still up (top right of this blog), please cast your vote, let us know why you left, but most importantly, why you came back. Cause you did come back, right?
Thursday, February 07, 2008
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (130)
- The week of EVE Online podcasts
- Vexor set-up for both Solo and Gang PVP
- EVE Online Economist video interview at GDC
- It's official, Drone Bay goes live on VirginWorlds...
- An addicted EVE Online gamer is what I am!
- He shot the sherif and killed every darn deputy!
- The first Drone Bay podcast has been recorded
- EVE Online Speedlinking for February 23rd, 2008
- EVE Player Meet at Brutopia
- EVE Online to use latest animation engine technolo...
- Hey Doc, where's my Quarterly Economic Newsletter
- A new EVE podcast in the works!
- EVE Online Speedlinking for February 16th, 2008
- Moving back to Khanid Kingdom to reunite with PPL
- Once a corp mate, always a corp mate!
- Blog Banter #3 : Games you should play to get to k...
- EVE Online reviewed in GFW latest issue
- EVE Online: The Motion Picture
- The 100,000 pageview mark!
- EVE Online Speedlinking for February 9th, 2008
- EON Alliance survey now live!
- The next Montreal EVE Online Player Meet
- What's the longest you've gone without playing? An...
- EON #010 - Table of Content
- How I survived a month without EVE Online & lived ...
- ▼ February (25)
- ► 2007 (133)
- ► 2006 (121)