One of the most important aspect of an MMORPG, often overlooked, is the background story, the lore. While a game is being developed it helps create the mood, the atmosphere and provides hints and teasers as to what to look forward to in the game. When the game is live, it keeps the story moving forward, keeps the players interested, wanting more. It's crucial, specifically in an MMORPG.
Last Monday, RF Online released the 1st chapter of its lore, and quickly followed with chapters 2 & 3, on Friday. And...
...I'm disappointed. It sounds somewhat childish, even goofy. I'm mean the "Arcane Club". Please!! I just don't know. I was expecting some much more from such an original setting. I really hope they either change the lore or at the very least tweak this story so that it has a bit more weight, and can hold it's own. Look at the lore of WoW, or EVE Online. I mean here are stories, legends, that have substance, content and bring the reader into the virtual world.
Now, I may be over reacting at such an early stage in the development of the game, and as the months go by, I'm sure more content will be added, which will bring the RF Online alive. It's just not off to a great start so far.
[UPDATE: I've since given RF Online lore a second read, and I have to say, it's not as bad as I thought at first. I'm curious though, because it seems they've updated chapter 2 and 3 since they appear to have been modified after Friday.]
Keep your fingers crossed until then, and in the mean time, enjoy this article over at MMORPG.com with Michael Rowland, the RF Online Community Manager.
[RF Online] [MMORPG] [WoW]
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (130)
- ► 2008 (231)
- ► 2007 (133)
- ► 2006 (121)
- EVE Online Case Study
- On a scouting & trading mission
- RF Online, the lore...
- E:ON, the second issue out in January '06
- Skyland, tonight on TELETOON!
- Destroying platforms, all part of the job
- No such thing as an easy trade!
- My EVE Online screenshots
- EVE Online Upgrade: Red Moon Rising
- Speed surfing with the Google Web Accelerator
- The Escapist - A Deadly Dollar
- Beta Testing: RF Online offer from MMORPG.com
- Exploring Arnatele
- My U10, the ultimate gadget!
- Cruising in my Gallente shuttle
- Back online! I'm whole again...
- Firefox 1.5 Release Candidate 1
- No home access to the web since Sunday!
- ▼ November (18)